Saturday, January 16, 2010

3 lbs of tomatoes


As I mentioned in my last post I have decided to make my own ketchup.  Well, 3 pounds of tomatoes and 3 hours later I have 2 small bottles of ketchup.  Even though it was so time consuming the end result is delicious! I found the recipe in a Jamie Oliver cookbook (Jamie At Home).  The ingredient list was quite lengthy and some ingredients were a little surprising.  Fennel, celery, ginger, red chili pepper and coriander seeds are just a few of them.  Now that my ketchup is made and I have tasted it I realize that all those surprising ingredients have their place in my ketchup!  Through this process I was worried that the ketchup would be quite light in colour, but as I simmered the ketchup down to a typical ketchup consistency it changed colour quite a bit - it is now a nice dark red-orange.

It was an exciting process to make this, not something that I would do very often but in the Fall when we have loads of ripe tomatoes from the garden it would be a great way to enjoy our tomato harvest.






















That's all for tonight, see you all after our gourmet food adventure tomorrow!

E


No comments:

Post a Comment