Saturday, January 30, 2010

Healthy Baking - Double Bran Blueberry Muffins

I know what you are thinking... I have not been around very much in the last week as I have been battling a cold (the cold was winning) and I have been busy with a few other projects.  But now I have a wonderful cup of tea and best of all I have time!


So what has gone on recently that you would have missed...?  I made these yummy (healthy) double bran muffins.  I as per usual can't follow a recipe as it reads so I added candied ginger and blueberries.  Because who can resist blueberry bran muffins!



Here is the recipe; (I initially found it on my favourite Better Homes and Gardens website - bhg.com)


Double Bran Blueberry Muffins (bhg.com calls them two bran refrigerator muffins)

2/3 c whole bran cereal
1/3 c.   oat bran
2/3 c.   boiling water
1/2 c.   non-fat milk
2 egg whites (lightly beaten)
1 T.   candied ginger - minced
2 T.   cooking oil
1 1/2 c.   all purpose flour (I am not sure that I would ever use whole wheat flour here -  that would be bran, bran and more bran!)
1/4 c.   packed brown sugar
1 1/2 t.   baking powder
1 t.   cinnamon (I put 2 t. in - cinnamon and blueberries... yum)
1 pinch of salt
1 c.   frozen or fresh blueberries

In a medium bowl - add 2 brans together and stir in boiling water.  Add in milk, egg whites (I let the mixture cool a little as to not cook the egg whites), oil and minced candied ginger.

Mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt in a second bowl, add in blueberries and gently fold into bran mixture.


Lightly grease muffin tins - or use paper liners.  Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full, garnish with a sliver of candied ginger and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. You can also do the toothpick test to see if they are done.  This recipe makes about 12 to 15 muffins.  The original recipe makes 12 muffins but I got 15 when I added the blueberries.

These are wonderful served warm but the next day for breakfast or a mid morning snack they are delicious too!

Next time I make these I think I will leave out the ginger and just make blueberry bran and top them with a lemon sugar glaze.  Now I just need to find a perfect lemon sugar glaze...



That's all for now!  I am off to search for more healthy recipes, see you soon.

E





No comments:

Post a Comment